Robert Irwin Wolf Expressive Analysis in New York, NY
ROBERT IRWIN WOLF
OFFICE: 461 West 43rd Street, Ground Floor, New York City, NY 10036
STUDIO: 529 WEST 42ND STREET, LOFT 2L
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10036
- Training Institute of The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Certificate of Completion, June, 1981.
- Pratt Institute, Graduate Art Therapy Program, Master of Professional Studies in Art Therapy and Creativity Development, January 1973, with honors.
- Herbert H. Lehman College, Graduate Education program, ITEP, New York State Teachers Certification K-6, New York City Teachers Certification, 1968.
- Pratt Institute, School of Art and Design, Bachelor of Industrial Design, May 1968.
- LP, NYS Licensed Psychoanalyst, # 000075
- LCAT, NYS Licensed Creative Art Therapist, # 00716-1
- AATA Registered and Board Certified Art Therapist, (ATR-BC), # 73-026
- NAAP Certified Psychoanalyst, (NCPsyA)
- Independent Practice, Psychoanalysis, Psychotherapy, Art Therapy (with children, adolescents and adults), Psychoanalytic Groups and Clinical Supervision, 1974 - Present
- Professor of Graduate Art and Art Therapy, Graduate Art Department, The College of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, New York l980 - Present
- President, The Institute for Expressive Analysis, New York City President, June 2014 – June 2017, Past Director, June, l993 - June, l996.
- Faculty, Senior Member and Training Analyst, Supervisor, The Training Institute of the National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, and the Institute for Expressive Analysis 1981 - Present
- Visiting Professor, and Supervisor, Pratt Institute Graduate Art Therapy Department 1976- present
- Adjunct Associate Professor, The University of Bridgeport Graduate Counseling Program 1976 - 1978
- Contributing Editor, ART THERAPY, the official Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 1973 - 1997
- Clinical Director, The Henry Street Settlement School (A Special Education Facility), New York City 1972 - 1980
- Special Education Teacher, K-6, New York City Board of Education 1968 - 1972
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Institute for Expressive Analysis, Outstanding Service Award for service to the organization as Director, 1993-1996. Awarded April, 2015.
- Elected President, The Institute for Expressive Analysis, May, 2014 through present.
- Pam Clark Outstanding Service Award, Awarded by the New York Art Therapy Association for outstanding contributions to the field of Art Therapy and service to the organization of NYATA, February, 2014.
- Elected to Board of Directors, The Institute for Expressive Analysis, January 2010- present
- Director, The Institute for Expressive Analysis, 1996 - 1998.
- Recipient of VISION AWARD for outstanding contributions to the field of psychoanalysis, May, l993, The National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, New York City.
- Elected to "Who's Who Among Human Service Professionals," The National Reference Institute, Wilmette, Illinois, 1991.
- Member, Education Committee, Council of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists, 1985.
- Associate Member, The Council of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists, 1984 - 2004.
- Senior Member and Faculty, The Institute for Expressive Analysis, 1992 - Present.
- Certified Psychoanalyst #P81567, The National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis and the American Boards for Accreditation and Certification, 1982.
- Senior Member, Training Analyst and Faculty of The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, 1981 through present.
- Past President, The New York Art Therapists Association, 1974-1975.
- Registered Art Therapist #73-026, The American Art Therapy Association, 1972.
ART HONORS, EXHIBITIONS AND COMMISSIONS
- Award Winner, 'Travel Photography Contest", Blank Wall Gallery, Athens, Greece, September, 2017
- Pop-Up Solo Sculpture Exhibition, Rome Gallery, Chelsea, NY, May, 2015.
- Annual Juried Art Exhibition, New York Art Therapy Association, Queens Museum, February 2014.
- The Mooney Gallery, Campus of the College of New Rochelle, participant: Trauma A Juried Exhibit, March 2013.
- The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Invitational Art Exhibition, December, 2011
- Castle Gallery, College of New Rochelle, Studio Art Faculty Exhibition, Stone Sculpture, March 29 – June 17, 2011
- Pratt Institute, Schafler Gallery, Juried Exhibition "CROSSING DISCIPLINES: BOOKS", February 9 - March 9, 2011
- Pratt Institute Dean’s Gallery, Brooklyn NY, Group Exhibition, June, 2010
- Blue Door Gallery, Yonkers NY, “Memories In Art”, Group Exhibition, July, 2010
- Open Studio, Sculpture and Photography Event, March, 2010, Manhattan, NY
- Mooney Gallery, College of New Rochelle, various Juried Art Exhibitions, 1981 – present.
- Artist’s Solo Exhibition: The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, October 2009
- Hun Gallery, International Juried Art Exhibition, 2008, New York City, Feb 2008
- Pratt Schafler Gallery, “Spontaneous Gestures Realized”, January – March 2008
- National Association for Multi-ethnicity in Communication, Sculpture chosen for the 2007 Mickey Layland Humanitarian Award, presented to Anderson Cooper, September 2007, NYC
- Paul Sharpe Gallery, Stone Sculpture and Photography 2004.
- Artist’s Studio Exhibitiopn, April 2003
- UBS/Paine Weber, Gallery Exhibitions, Fall 2003
- Cast Iron Gallery, SoHo, June 2003
- SoBe Design Studio, Miami, Florida, Benefit Photography Exhibition and Auction, South Beach AIDS Project, March, 2000.
- Memorandum Gallery, San Jose, Costa Rica, Solo Photographic Exhibition, November, 1999.
- The College of New Rochelle, Solo Exhibition of Sculpture, GESTURAL FORM, October, 1998.
- Photographic Exhibition, The National Arts Club, Gramercy Park South, New York City, Spring 1998.
- Invitational Exhibition, Sculpture New York Art Therapy Association, August, 1996, at School of Visual Arts, New York City.
- Sculpture accepted as part of permanent collection, MENNINGER FOUNDATION, Topeka, Kansas, January 1993.
- COVER PHOTOGRAPH of sculpture, ART THERAPY, the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, Fall, 1992.
- COMMISSION: The National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, VISIONS AWARD SCULPTURE, for Marplex Castings, March, 1992.
- JUROR, International Art Competition, MARI GALLERY, Mamaroneck, New York, July 1990.
OTHER Misc. SCULPTURE EXHIBITIONS
- Invitational Group Exhibition, Mari Gallery, Mamaroneck, New York, December, 1992.
- Korean Art Show Gallery, Fort Lee, New Jersey, resident sculptor, May, 1992 - November, 1992.
- Greenhut Gallery, Albany, New York, Group Show, May, 1992.
- Lever House, New York, International Exhibition, March, 1992.
- Art 54, SoHo, New York, International Group Exhibition, 1992-1998.
- Mari Gallery, Mamaroneck, New York Group Exhibition, October, 1991.
- Ariel Gallery, SoHo, New York, lst Prize, Sculpture Competition, December, 1989.
- The College Center Gallery, Wood and Stone Sculpture, October, 1989.
- Mari Gallery, Mamaroneck, New York, FIRST PLACE, JURIED FINE ART EXHIBITION, July, 1989.
- The David Anderson Gallery, New York City, 1985-1989.
- The Castle Gallery, New Rochelle, New York, 1984.
- The Henry Street Gallery, New York, Photographic Exhibition, 1973.
PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The College of New Rochelle, Graduate Art Therapy Program, Creative Processing of Dreams: An Interactive Seminar, November, 2017.
- Eighth Annual Conference on the Image, Venice Italy. Paper Presentation: Processing Psychoanalytic Sessions With Artwork, October, 2017.
- The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Live Supervision Demonstration: Utilizing Expressive Modalities to Process Sensory Motor Communication of Unconscious Material, April, 2017.
- College of New Rochelle, Child Art Therapy Conference, Panel Moderator and Workshop Leader: Phototherapy With Children, April, 2017.
- Institute for Expressive Analysis Open House, Keynote Presenter, April 2017.
- 1st Expressive Therapy Summit in LA, April, 2017, Introduction to the Therapeutic Uses of Photography.
- 5th Annual Expressive Therapy Summit, Master Class: Using Expressive Modalities to Process Dreams, College of New Rochelle campus, October, 2016.
- National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, "The Artist As Analyst/ The Analyst As Artist"; a discussion between Dr. Arthur Robbins and Professor Robert Irwin Wolf, October, 2015. (video link attached)
- The Institute For Expressive Analysis, Creative Seminar: Exploring Visual Metaphors Through Photography, February, 2015.
- Fifth Annual Expressive Therapy Summit, NYC: Demonstration of Processing Transference/Countertransference Through Drawing, Advanced Phototherapy Workshop: Psychoanalytic Application of Photography, Moderator: Panel on the Past, Present and Future of Expressive Analysis, November 2014.
- The Institute for Expressive Analysis, Annual Scientific Meeting, Seminar on: “Processing Countertransference through Dreams and Creative Art Modalities”, February, 2014.
- 4th Annual Expressive Therapy Summit, NYC: Demonstration of the Distinction Between Expressive Therapy and Expressive Analysis, Processing Dreams & Countertransference Using Expressive Art Modalities, Phototherapy: An Intermediate Workshop for Arts Therapists, November 2013.
- Institute for Expressive Analysis, Using Artwork to Enhance and Better Understand Psychoanalytic Processes, May, 2013.
- Pratt Institute, Therapeutic Uses of Photography: Phototherapy Theory and Application of Techniques. Graduate art therapy program, April, 2013
- Institute for Imagination, Innovation and Inquiry, Creative Problem Solving Using Guided Imagery and Art, March 2013, Campus of the College of New Rochelle.
- The New York Art Therapy Association, Presentation: The Importance of Being An Artist, As An Art Therapist and Psychoanalyst, February, 2012, C.W.Post University, Long Island, New York.
- The College of New Rochelle, Symposium: Innovative Practices in Mental Wellness, Creative Processing of Dreams for Identifying and Resolving Countertransference Issues, November, 2012.
- 3rd Annual Expressive Therapies Summit,New York City, Phototherapy TrainingExperiential Seminar, Monitoring Progress in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy through Art, November, 2012
- National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Panel Discussant; “How We Work”, December, 2011.
- 2nd Annual Expressive Therapies Summit,New York City, Phototherapy TrainingExperiential Seminar, November, 2011.
- Fordham University Graduate School of Social Work, Panelist on the Creative Arts In Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, September, 2011.
- The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Guest Lecture by Senior Analysts, April 2011, Clinical Case Study Presentation.
- The Institute for Expressive Analysis, April 2011, Integrating Creative Processing of Dream Material In Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
- Expressive Therapies Summit, November 2010, New York City,
- Paper Presentation: “No One Can Hear Me Scream”: The integration of expressive therapy techniques, creative processing of countertransference inductions and the use of metaphor in the psychoanalytically oriented outpatient treatment of a woman artist with schizoaffective disorder.
- Workshop Presentation:”Creative Processing of Dream Material”
- St. Thomas Aquinas College, “Creative Processing of Dreams”, March 2010, “Photo Therapy Training Seminar, Integration of Digital Technology”, April, 2009.
- The National Psychological Association For Psychoanalysis. Case Presentations by Guest Analysts, January 2010, Expressive Analysis with a Schizophrenic Artist.
- The National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Open Studio Artist’s Salon for members and friends, March, 2009.
- The College Of New Rochelle, “Presentation of Sabbatical Work: New Sculpture, Website, andBook Project: LessonsFrom the Past: A photographic Journey Through Cambodia and Thailand”, April 2009.
- New York Art Therapy Association 4th Annual Educational Symposium, Keynote Address, “Creativity and the Role of Art Therapy in Our Quest for Inspiration and Authenticity”, Maria Farreri Childrens' Hospital at Westchester Medical Center, October 2008
- Institute for Expressive Analysis, “Case Presentation of Expressive Analytic Techniques”, April 2008
- Pratt Institute & Institute for Expressive Analysis, co-sponsored event, “Advances In Phototherapy Training”, Presentation and experiential demonstration, May, 2008
- New York Art Therapy Association, “Creative Processing of Ethical Issues For Art Therapists”, March, 2007
- International Conference on Arts & Humanities, Waikiki, Hawaii, presented paper, ‘Advances In Phototherapy Training’
- The National Psychological Association For Psychoanalysis, Invitational Seminar: Creative Interventions In Dream Analysis, January, 2004 and May, 2005, Countertransference Workshop, May 2004.
- AGATE (Assoc. for Gifted and Talented Education) Annual Conference, ‘Art Therapy For The Gifted’, Spring, 2005
- The National Association For The Advancement of Psychoanalysis, Annual Conference: Resistance and Counter Resistance, April 2001
- The National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, Creative Interventions in Psychoanalysis, 1992
- National Psychological Association for Psychoanalysis, Workshop Presentation: Visceral Learning: The Use of Creative Process in Psychoanalytic Teaching, 1992
- Seminar Course: Capturing Movement in Photographic Images, November, 2000.
- The New Jersey Art Therapy Association, Phototherapy Workshop, October, 1999.
- The National for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis, Workshop on Countertransference, Spring, 1998.
- The Institute for Expressive Analysis, Workshop on Creative
- Interventions in the Supervision of Psychoanalysts, Fall, 1997.
- Pratt Institute, Art Therapy Expo, Various Workshops, 1995-1998.
- The New School for Social Research, Seminar on Expressive Therapy, Spring, 1996.
- 1991, Nov. Graduate Art and Art Therapy, The College of New Rochelle, Exploring Resonant Space and it's Role in Creativity Development
- 1989, Oct., Center Gallery, The College of New Rochelle, Gallery Talk: The Therapist as Artist.
- 1986 National Council of Jewish Women, New York City, Keynote Speaker: Adolescents in Crisis: How Can We Help?
- 1982 The International Symposium on Autism, Nassau Center and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Workshop: Instant Photo Therapy for Autistic Children.
- 1980 Illinois Art Therapy Association, Guest Lecturer, Chicago Art Institute, Paper:; The History and Future of Art Therapy in Special Education.
- 1979 The Delaware Valley Art Therapy Association, Keynote Speaker, Paper: Symbolism in Art Therapy.
- 1973 - 1980 Various Presentations to Pratt Institute
Presentations to the THE AMERICAN ART THERAPY ASSOCIATION
- 1992Las Vegas, Nevada, Workshop: Using Creative Process in Teaching, Clinical Supervision and in Psychotherapy.
- 1990Washington, D.C. Paper: Visceral Learning: The Integration of Aesthetic and Creative Process in Education and Psychotherapy. Workshop: Photography, Panel Sensual Ways of Knowing.
- 1988Chicago, Ill., Panel: Cognitive and Sensual Ways of Knowing.
- 1985New Orleans, LA. Workshop: Using Countertransference Inductions in Clinical Supervision and Panel Moderator: The Interface Between Art Therapy and Psychoanalysis.
- 1984Washington, D.C., Panel: Art Therapy in Independent Practice.
- 1983Chicago, Ill., Workshop: Countertransference and Image Induction: Uses in Clinical Treatment and Supervision.
- 1982Los Angeles, CA., Workshop: Clinical Image Induction: Implications for Depth Oriented Treatment.
- 1981Kansas City, MO., Workshop: Using Face Paint to Work Through Resistance in Psychotherapy.
- 1979Washington, D.C., Paper : Re-Experiencing Winnicott's Environmental Mother: Implications for Art Psychotherapy in Spec. Ed.
- 1971 – 1978 ( Papers presented at each annual conference)
- 1971 - 1983 Various Presentations to the New York Art Therapists Association.
VIDEO and BOOK REVIEWS
- A GUIDE TO PHOTOTHERAPY: Artistic Methods, DVD, ART THERAPY, Volume 23, Number 4, 2006
- DANCING ON BLOOD, by Arthur Robbins, Ed.D. (Videotape), reviewed for The Psychoanalytic Review, April 2001
- THE PSYCHO-AESTHETIC EXPERIENCE, by Arthur Robbins, Ed.D., Human Sciences Press, Spring l998, The Psychoanalytic Review.
- PHOTO ART THERAPY: A JUNGIAN PERSPECTIVE, by Jerry Fryrear and Irene Corbit, Charles Thomas, 1992, reviewed for The Arts in Psychotherapy, 1993.
- The Artist as Therapist by Arthur Bobbins, Ed.D., Human Sciences Press, reviewed for The Arts in Psychotherapy, 1986.
- Brief Psychotherapy by Althea Horner, Ph.D., reviewed for The Psychoanalytic Review 1985.
- Boundary and Space: An Introduction to the Work of D. W. Winnicott by Davis and Wallbridge, reviewed for The Psychoanalytic Review, 1983.
- Controversy in Psychotherapy by Herbert Strean, reviewed for The Psychoanalytic Review, 1982.
- Expressive Therapy by Arthur Robbins, reviewed for The Psychoanalytic Review, 1981.
- Clinical Art Therapy by Helen Landgarten, reviewed for The Behavioral Science Book Club, 1981.
- A Mind's Eye View: Processing Psychoanalytic Treatment Through Artwork, Psychoanalytic Review, 104(2), April 2017.
- Video recorded, edited and published: Art Therapy In Special Education: The History of the Henry Street School. Published and selected by New York State Department of Education as a source of information on their website for Art Therapy career information. November, 2016.
- “The Therapeutic Uses of Photography In Play Therapy”, Integrating Expressive Arts and Play Therapy: A Guidebook for Mental Health Practitioners and Educators, Green & Drewes, Eds, January, 2014, John Wiley & Sons:New Jersey.
- “No One Can Hear Me Scream”: The integration of expressive therapy techniques, creative processing of countertransference inductions and the use of metaphor in the psychoanalytically oriented outpatient treatment of a woman artist with schizoaffective disorder, Psychoanalytic Perspectives, 7(2): 279-296, Fall 2010, and with additional illustrations and Foreword, at www.blurb.com.
- “Lessons From the Past: A Photographic Journey Through Cambodia, Thailand and Laos”, (second edition) February, 2010, Blurb.com.
- “Lessons From the Past: A Photographic Journey Through Cambodia and Thailand, (first edition) December 2008, Blurb.com.
- "Advances In Phototherapy Training". The arts in psychotherapy, 34 (2007) 124-133.
- "Visceral Learning: The Integration of Creative Process in Education and Psychotherapy, Art Therapy, July 1990, pp. 60-69.
- “Image Inductions in the Countertransference: A Revision of the Totalistic View:, Art Therapy, October, 1985.
- “Instant Photo Therapy With Children and Adolescents”, chapter in
- Phototherapy in Mental Health, Charles Thomas, Publisher, 1983.
- “Instant Photo Therapy: Some Theoretical and Clinical Considerations for its Use in Special Education”, Phototherapy: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 1982.
- Re-Experiencing Winnicott's Environmental Mother: Implications for Art Psychotherapy of Antisocial Youth in Special Education, The International Journal of Art Psychotherapy, 1979.
- The Use of Instant Photography in Creative Expressive Therapy: An Integrative Case Study, International Journal of Art Psychotherapy, Volume 5 pp. 81 - 91, Pergamon Press, 1978.
- The Quality Art Therapist, Annual Proceedings of the American Art Therapy Association, 1978.
- The Polaroid Technique: Spontaneous Dialogues from the Unconscious, The International Journal of Art Psychotherapy, Volume 3, 1976. Also published in Dynamics of Creativity, the Annual Proceedings of The American Art Therapy Association, 1977.
- The Use of Instant Photography in the Establishment of a Therapeutic Alliance, Annual Proceedings of the American Art Therapy Association, 1976.
- On the Identity of an Art Therapist in Alternative Settings, The Annual Proceedings of the American Art Therapy Association, 1976.
- Art Psychotherapy With Acting Out Adolescents: An Innovative Approach for Special Education, International Journal of Art Psychotherapy, 1975.
- Art Therapy in Educational Settings, The American Journal of Art Therapy, Volume 12, No. 2, 1973.